Northwest Assistance Ministries’ (NAM) annual Art for the Hungry build took place on the evening of Sunday, February 27 at Willowbrook Mall. Art for the Hungry kicks off NAM’s annual Survival Over Summer food drive, which restocks its Food Pantry after the holidays. Demand for the Food Pantry increases each summer, due to children being out of school and families struggling with high electric bills. This event helps to ensure that the Pantry is replenished by the time summer arrives.
Builders collected non-perishable food items and made them into sculptures. Participating groups and sculptures are:
* Klein United Methodist Church Girls Youth Group – “Follow the Yellow Brick Road”
* Klein United Methodist Church Boys Youth group – “The Death Star”
* Cypress Ranch High School – “Our Friends in Outer Space”
* Klein High School National Art Honor Society – “Toy Story – Little Green Men”
* Church of Champions Lifeline Youth Group – “Galaga in 3-D”
* National Charity League, Cypress Creek Chapter – “Taj Mahal”
* Rotary of Willowbrook, Cypress Creek Interact, Houston NW Sunrise – “Rotary Blasts Polio Out of this World”
The sculptures will remain on display at Willowbrook Mall until March 13. At the end of the two-week display period, awards will be given for “People’s Choice” and “Judges’ Choice”. The People’s Choice award winner is determined by the total number of votes cast at each sculpture. Voting is done by making a donation in a collection box situated next to each sculpture, with each $.25 donation counting as one vote. The Judges’ Choice award is given to the most well-constructed and creativve sculpture, as determined by a panel of judges.
All funds and food will be donated to NAM’s Food Pantry. As an added bonus, The Feinstein Foundation provides a proportional match for all funds and food collected.
NAM is a nonprofit, community-based social service agency that is supported by over 50 congregations, 18 Service Partner organizations and more than 160 businesses Community Partners.
For more information, contact: